Documentum In-Place Connector
The typical migration scenario with migration-center is to read – or scan, as we call it – documents and their metadata from the source system (1), do necessary transformations on those documents in order to fit the target system (2), and finally write – or import – them into the target system (3).
The upcoming version 3.2.9 of our migration-center software, which is expected to be released in June, will contain an OpenText Documentum in-place importer. In-place means in this context that the source and the target systems are the same. So you can scan documents and their metadata from a Documentum repository (1), do transformations on those documents as usual (2), and then update the documents in the same Documentum repository (3).
This kind of in-place migration path adds a lot of new possibilities to our migration-center. For example, you may use it to reorganize the folder structure, the access permissions, or the document object model in your repository. You may even migrate your existing business application to a new business application, e.g. migrate your Documentum Webtop based application to the Documentum D2 Life Sciences Solution Suite.
The OpenText Documentum in-place importer will support the following features:
- Fill missing values for existing attributes or for newly created attributes.
- Replace values of existing attributes with new values resulted from the transformation rules according to the business requirements.
- Change the permissions of existing documents according to the new business policies.
- Change the object type of existing documents.
- Reorganize the existing folder structure.
- Retain the existing object IDs (r_object_id).